home about diy fashion sponsor

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Design your own fabric with Spoonflower

So, last week I spotted this beautiful little number floating around the internet:

Via
For the untrekie among you who can't tell, the fabric is a draft of the USS Enterprise; and it is beautiful.  $45 is a bit steep for a skirt that would take less than an hour to make, and once I saw on the Etsy listing that the maker had the fabric specially made, the hunt was on!  A Google, Amazon and Ebay search turned up nothing.  Then, my friend Courtney showed me this site called Spoonflower.  At Spoonflower you can design and buy your own fabric, wallpaper, decals and gift wrap.  Not a designer myself, I was happy to find that you can buy fabric with the designs that other people have submitted here (the designers get a commission too).  Bellingham lacks a decent fabric store like Fabric Depot and sorry Joanns, but most of your fabric is outdated and just plain out of stock.  Spoonflower has tons of beautiful and modern (and nerdylicious) fabric offered in many different types of fabric.

Here are some of my favorites:

sailing pattern


Vintage Birds


Mint Anchors


aqua turquoise flowers


While pursuing the designs, we realized that we had just so happened to stumble across the very fabric that had sent us on the search in the first place!


Lucky for me, Spoonflower was having a 24 hour sale where you could get a swatch of any fabric for absolutely free!  My roommate and I both got one and our lovelies arrived a few days ago:



I'm really glad that I found this site and I hope that I have a project do to soon that necessitates the buying of copious amounts of beautiful fabric!

XOXO



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...