home about diy fashion sponsor

Monday, February 18, 2013

Make it Monday: Upcycled Mittens


These mittens are made from a felted sweater. I happened to find this one on the side of the road already felted (a mix up in the washing machine was probably why it was discarded) but you could also buy a wool sweater and felt it yourself.

Supplies:

  • Old or thifted felted wool sweater
  • Scissors
  • Thread
  • Sewing machine
  • Embroidery floss
  • Needle
  • Paper
  • Pencil

Skills used:

  • Basic embroidery
  • Basic sewing




Instructions:

  1. Trace your hand on paper in a mitten shape and design your embroidery pattern if desired.
  2. Use your paper pattern to cut out four pieces, two backs and two tops. Make sure that you leave seem allowance when you cut out your mittens. 
  3. Embroider your mittens before you sew them. Because mine were so dark, I used a white colored pencil to outline the design.
  4. Pin the  mittens right sides together.
  5. Sew around the edges using a zig zag stitch. Make sure to get both layers! The first time around I missed a bit and was left with holes that I had to patch:(
  6. Finish the cuffs however you would like. I cut them extra long and then folded them under and decorated the edge with a blanket stitch. You could also just cut them short or hem them.
Make sure not to get your pieces mixed up and make two left hands!

Stay crafty,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

these are fantastic and so simple! if only I had a sewing machine, I worry that they would fall apart if I tried by hand.

Brenda Miller said...

They look even more awesome in person!

Unknown said...

I have had a sewing machine for a while, wanting to be inspired to take up quilting again or teach myself how to sew my own clothes or something. These are so cute and cozy, and look so simple. Maybe, just maybe, this will get me to finally pull that thing out of the closet!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...