home about diy fashion sponsor

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Technique Tuesday: Vinyl Stencil


So, yesterday I showed you how my roommate and I made a burlap bag for her packaging product. After we made the bag, she finished it off by painting it with the logo that she designed.  This is the technique that we used to paint the bag:

This stencil technique uses a Cricut cutting machine, Sure Cuts A Lot software and sticky backed vinyl.


1.  Create your design on the computer making sure that it is simple enough that the details will not be lost on the loose weave of the burlap.


2.  Transfer the design to Sure Cuts A Lot computer software.  This program allows you to override the use of a cartridge and cut whatever design you create on your computer (if you have no idea what I am talking about, don't worry I will do a product review of both the cutter and the software soon). Carefully cut out the design on vinyl using a Cricut cutter.


3.  Peel the vinyl off it's backing and position on bag. Make sure it is stuck down good and that you have something (such as a piece of cardboard) inside the bag to keep the paint from seeping through to the other side of the bag.  Making sure not to move the bag too much, paint your stencil.


4.  Let the paint dry for a bit and then pull the vinyl off. Now you can enjoy your customized bag.


I know that I have talked about the Cricut machine several times without really explaining what it is. I really love the Cricut and have used it for countless projects so I am going to make a product review of it soon to show you what I like about it and what I have made.

Courtney's class really liked her bag and we had a lot of fun making it. I hope you enjoyed it too.

XOXO

6 comments:

Brenda Miller said...

Beautiful! This looks like a lot of fun. Are all the tools expensive?

Brenda Miller said...

Beautiful! This looks like a lot of fun. Are all the tools expensive?

Unknown said...

The Cricut Machine is the most expensive part. I am lucky to have access to two of them because my roommate has one and my mom has one at home. They are about $200 you can see them here: http://www.cricut.com/shopping/products-Cricut-Machines-363.aspx

The Sure Cuts A Lot program was about $60 which I also got from my mother. The program is well worth it though because it allows you to override the Cricut machine and cut whatever you want instead of having to buy their cartridges.

From a quick scan of the websites it looks like some of this info has changed since I bought mine so I will have to look into it. I know of another cutting machine called the Silhouette.

I buy vinyl in bulk from a place in Portland so it is pretty cheap.

Anonymous said...

This looks really professional! It's great that you seem to use your Cricut so much. I would really like having one for those random projects, but I'm afraid my use wouldn't justify the cost. The program looks like a real money saver though!

Do you ever use the vinyl to make stickers? A pair of really crafty twins started their own business senior year of high school with focuses on school spirit.

Unknown said...

I do really use it a lot because there are so many things you can do with it. I'm really lucky to have access to one (or three! my other roommate has one too!)

I have made stickers. Usually I use the vinyl to make wall decals and I just bought a car so I want to make a sailing team bumper sticker.

Unknown said...

This is incredible. What a great tool to have at your disposal. I'm sure your roommate was grateful for your help in exchange.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...