home about diy fashion sponsor

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Crochet Square Afghan

Over the winter break my mom gave me a bunch of yarn that had been given to her by a friend (I LOVE free craft supplies!).  I had been toying with the idea of making crochet square afghan but hadn't wanted to buy that much yarn so this is the perfect solution!

I love this project so far because it doesn't take much effort and each square only takes me about an hour to make, about the time when I start getting bored and want to start on a new pattern.  The squares can be as complicated or simple as you like and still look good.

Here is what I have got so far:


#6 is a simple granny square and the one that I use to make sure the others are the right size. The patterns for #s 2,3,4,5,6,7, and 9 all came from a book that my mom had at home however, I wouldn't recommend it.  There were a lot of errors in the patterns. Things like the wrong number of stitches or missed steps. As a beginner, it was really frustrating. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right in the first place and then the pattern was telling me the wrong thing! There was a lot of "MOM WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!?!?!?!"

#1 and 8 are from this website and worked out really well, so well that I made two of them!

In the future, I will post updates and patterns for the new squares that I make so stay tuned.

Close up of my favorite square so far.
Does anyone know of any good crochet square patterns or websites?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! I've been trying to crochet a blanket for months, but inexperienced me chose a relatively small crochet hook, so I'll be done with grad school before it's finished! Bad times haha. How long have you been knitting? Also, I love the colors of your yarn. Unfortunately, my mom's old yarn is sort of hideous :)

Unknown said...

Thanks! I know what you mean some projects can be really tedious which is why I like this one. I actually can't remember when I started knitting. I believe it might have been in high school. I just picked up crocheting last year.

Unknown said...

I love these! Such a cool way to deplete an over-sized yarn stash (of which I am definitely guilty). I may have to trade in my knitting needles for a crochet hook and give this a try :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...