home about diy fashion sponsor

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Silly rabbits and the importance of gauging

Back in middle school, when I was first learning to knit, I got to a point where I was really tired of making scarves but not good enough to make something a crazy as a sweater (I'm still not). So, I decided to make a stuffed rabbit.

It was going pretty well. I was able to follow the pattern fine and made one side of the rabbit. The problem was that the needles that I was using were so small and I was so slow that it took a twelve-year-old's  forever just to make that one side. By the time I was done, the idea of making the second side sounded like cruel torture. So, my brilliant idea was to make another rabbit but this time smaller. I would just shrink the pattern and whip it out in no time!

What I didn't understand at the time is that what had been small stitches making up this large rabbit, would by ratio be very large for a small rabbit and I didn't think to use smaller needles. The consequence was that I did indeed make a small stuffed rabbit however, the large stitches made it twisted and misshapen.
I don't know where it is at the moment so I drew you a pretty accurate picture in paint:


It reminds me of the rabbit from Donnie Darko and I always imagine it with bloody buck teeth


I never did finish the other side of the large rabbit. In fact, I unraveled it to make the yoga mat bag that I posted last week.

The lesson here of course is make sure that you understand gauging or else you will end up with creepy looking stuffed animals.

Stay silly,


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...