home about diy fashion sponsor

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

From the Nest: maps!

For the past four years (and the foreseeable future) I have lived in dorm rooms, rental houses and apartments which means no wallpaper or painting those maddeningly white walls. The solution that I have come up with is maps!  Not only are they abundant and informative, I just love the way that maps and charts look.  The colors and textures of veins of highways and rivers, creates something that is appealing to look at as a whole but also can be focused on and inspected in detail.

Here are the ones I have around my apartment currently:

Map of the North West in the bathroom
We even got a map shower curtain! That way you can learn geography while you brush your teeth.
This is the map/photo wall that I made for my bedroom.  The pins on the map show the locations that the photos were taken

Where my parents grew up
My favorite map is this one of Earth at night

All the maps I have I have either gotten for free or very cheap. I have a lot of other maps that I use for craft project. Maps make great scrapbooking paper, envelopes and wrapping paper.


Envelope that I made from a map.
Edit 2/8/13: I found another envelope from a map that I thought I would share:
I sent this to a long distance boyfriend who lived in Pennsylvania when I was in Washington

Here are some other inspiring map projects:

Via
Via
Via
I'd love to know if you have ever done any creative projects with maps.

Don't they just make you want to go somewhere?

As always,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love maps too! I have a map of where I traveled in Italy and it always reminds me of my travels. What a great idea to use maps as wrapping paper and envelopes! I'm prepared for Christmas already :)

Anonymous said...

Maps seem to have the perfect pop of color! My fave is from National Geographic and it's just the entire world of rivers and basins outlined in various shades of blue against a plain white background, no land masses or anything. It's surprising to learn that even Africa has sizable rivers when it floods!

Unknown said...

my favorites are from nat geo too! They have such unique maps. I LOVE ones in other languages too

Unknown said...

I love the 'Earth at Night' map- so interesting! I have a few maps from the Huxley map library giveaway, it might be time they're made into envelopes :) great idea!

Unknown said...

I got quite a few from the giveaway as well. It's just a great resource!

Molly said...

Love the shower curtain-geography and hygiene never went together so well! I think I will have to acquire some free maps...what a beautiful way to recycle and reuse!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...