home about diy fashion sponsor

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Inspiration: Make This Look

Make This Look is a series by The Sew Weekly blog which highlights a dress from the popular clothing site Modcloth  with a pattern and fabric suggestion to make it yourself.  


Via

Finding this series was such a "yes!" moment for me because it is something that I have tried to do on my own for a long time.  Modcloth is one of my favorite clothing sites however, most of its items are quite out of my price range.  I often browse the inventory, saving images of items that I love and think that I could possibly make myself one day.  These posts capture that idea and make it so much more simple. I don't often use patterns or buy fabric but when I do, it is usually to make something that I saw in the store and wanted to make myself.

Here is a somewhat successful example of a Modcloth copy that I did to wear to a friend's wedding several summers ago:

I am one of those terrible people who takes pictures of things in dressing rooms and at farmer's markets so that I can go home and make it on the cheap! (I got yelled at by a vendor for doing that once).

Do you ever wish you could just make the things you see in stores instead of buying them?
Have you ever tried?

Stay crafty,


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm constantly seeing jewelry that I love and trying to mentally store what it looks like so I can go home and piece it together with the supplies I have. I'll definitely have to start taking pics though when I get up the nerve; that sounds like such a better idea than going off of memory.
Also, that dress is so cute! My fave part of making stuff is being able to kind-of-but-not-really humbly tell friends that you made it.

Unknown said...

That's such a good idea. Even simple jewelry can be so expensive. I've seen a lot of good jewelry tutorials but I haven't tried many. I like that part too but it does get awkward when people assume that you made things when you didn't. It's either a compliment to your skills or an insult to your clothes!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...