home about diy fashion sponsor

Thursday, March 14, 2013

On Blogging: Making stuff just to make stuff

Now that I am transitioning my blog out of the seminar class sphere where it was created and out on my own, I have been thinking about a bit about what kind of blogger that I want to be and what kind of posts that I want to have.  Last night, I came to one realization while I was browsing through craftgawker.  As I was noticing all the St. Patrick's Day and Easter themed craft posts, I had the thought "Oh dang I need to catch up and make some holiday posts too!". But that actually doesn't make any sense because I don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day and Easter is coming at the end of a long road trip this year and will be celebrated with my family in Oregon so it doesn't make sense to decorate for that either.  So basically, I would be just making stuff to make stuff.

And that brings me to my second point. It seems like there is a trend in the craft world (at least the online one) to make A Lot of stuff even if it is not particularly useful or neat. There are certain bandwagons that everyone jumps on and just has to make their own tutorial of, even if there are three thousand already (hair chalking, friendship bracelets, painted sticks wrapped in string anyone?).  I see some tutorials on craftgawker or pinterest and at first I think "Oh that looks cool I should make that" and then I realize that I actually don't want or need that item.

I'm not trying to criticize you if you have ever made a replicate tutorial. I sure have done it and I've had the urge to do it but from now on, I want to make sure that I am authentic in the projects that I do. To me this means that the things I make are objects that I need and want.  I enjoy the challenge of trying to new projects so from time to time I might make something just for the challenge of it and if I don't actually want the item I will offer it as a giveaway on this site (if it turns out alright!).  I define authenticity as being true to my own style and interests. It doesn't mean that everything that I make will be unique or different.  The internet is an amazing source of inspiration and information which means that almost everything that I make has been either influenced by someone else or done before.  But the point is that it will still be me, an added bit of chickaddie, if you will.

So don't expect to see any clover garlands or Easter egg dyeing any time soon. Here is a list of the projects that I do have in mind/in progress:

  • tote from sail material
  • wallet from sail material
  • WWU Sailing vinyl sticker
  • dress to skirt refashion
  • embroidered Toms
  • floral bralette
  • Moleskin scrapbook
  • pink blouse refashion
  • linen dress refashion
  • glass etching

Do you have any thoughts on blogging authenticity or the repetitiveness of craft projects?

Thanks for listening,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...