home about diy fashion sponsor

Monday, April 15, 2013

Make it Monday: Wind chime



A few days ago, I found this wind chime on Pinterest that I decided to try to recreate:


The original was created by http://blogesteix-chandeliers.blogspot.com/ who makes simply amazing chandeliers from repurposed materials. I believe she sells some of her creations but I found that it was quicker and less expensive to make my own. Plus it was a ton of fun!



The originals were hung from old cookie cutters, but I didn't have those so I used a canned chicken can. These are the supplies that I used but really you can add anything that you want. Look for things that would make a nice sound.  I happened to have some sea glass lying around that I thought would look pretty. 

For the width of my can I decided to use 4 utensils and four decorative strands. I gathered all the materials that I wanted to use and then used pliers, wire and split rings to create the four decorative strands below:


To hang these from the can, I first filled it with water and froze it overnight (the frozen water makes it easier to punch holes in the can without collapsing it on itself) then used a hammer and nail to punch eight evenly spaced holes on one edge of the can and four to hang it from on the other edge (I did not cut out that side because my can opener would have destroyed the edge). 



I tried to drill a hole through the sea glass but that was an epic failure so I ended up wrapping it in wire.

I am debating adding another can tier below that the forks and spoons would hit but I don't want to make it too loud as I live in an apartment complex and it does get very windy here.

Stay crafty,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...